Nowadays, there’s more to think about than outpatient vs inpatient and in-state vs out-of-state treatment. There are centers for people suffering from alcoholism and drug addiction who also have co-occurring issues and, really, almost anything within reason you can think of. You can be in the mountains, in the desert, by the beach, close to home, or as far away from home as possible. With our nation’s need for drug recovery programs, addiction treatment programs come in all shapes, forms, and sizes. No matter what specifications you require or prefer, there is a program that fits your needs. Some people prefer gender-specific treatment programs. Others, however, see this as unrealistic and prefer treatment programs that are based on content and not gender. Co-ed drug rehab is a place that treats addiction in men, women, and other gender identities. Someone of the opposite gender may have a story similar to yours, which could provide valuable support and insight. Co-ed rehabs include some of the top-ranked and most successful programs available in the United States. Many programs may separate living facilities by gender, however, promote a coed environment during the day and in groups. Others may separate by gender in almost every aspect, however, do accept all genders and sexual identities, which may be together for assembly, one group, or no activities at all. Let’s discuss the advantages of co-ed addiction treatment programs.
If you need FREE help please contact the National Helpline about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, treatment, and recovery in English and Spanish.
What Is a Co Ed Rehab?
Co-ed drug rehab is a place that treats addiction in men, women, and other gender identities.
The hallmark of most rehabs is talk therapy, where you work with an addiction specialist individually and in group settings. With co-ed rehab, those group sessions would have men and women, and for the individual counseling, you may be paired with a therapist of the opposite sex. In the case of gender-specific men’s or women’s programs, you’d only have touchpoints with those of your gender.
Broad and substantive research by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and supported by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) found that “a large proportion of men and women do well in mixed-gender treatment settings, and for these people, such settings will likely be more cost-effective than providing gender-specific treatment. However, some individuals or subgroups (female and male) may benefit in important ways from gender-specific treatment. Adequate assessment and appropriate treatment—whether in gender-sensitive mixed-gender programs or gender-specific programs—are critical to improving clinical outcomes for many people who currently are not well served”.
To put it differently, doing the proper soul-searching and deciding what’s best for yourself will ultimately yield the best outcomes.
What Are The Benefits of Co Ed Drug Rehab Treatment?
While a person may be tempted to attend a gender-treatment program, there is a lot of benefit to looking into co-ed drug and alcohol rehabs. There are certain experiences and points of view you may not be able to get during gender-specific treatment. It’s important to understand some of the benefits of getting treatment for both men and women, together. Let’s take a closer look at co-ed drug rehab.
Co Ed Treatment Helps Improving Social Skills Between Different Genders
In the real world and in many social situations, there is usually a mix of men, women, and other gender identities. Understanding and knowing how to conduct yourself in a mixed-gender setting can prepare you for the ‘real world”. Becoming comfortable addressing one’s own addiction in front of both genders can be very beneficial for a person’s social skills. This can be practiced for home and work life when the time comes. When someone is recovering from addiction, communication is a key aspect of maintaining and building relationships, especially after treatment has ended. When the time comes, a person will have to speak with their loved ones, husbands, wives, children, and friends about their situation. Co-ed drug rehab centers can be a great way to refine a person’s social skills.
Real-World View Discussions at Co-Ed Treatment Centers
One of the benefits of co-ed treatment is the presence of real-world views from all genders. Every day, we interact with each other and deal with similar problems. With this in mind, co-ed treatment centers allow both genders to bring their own experiences and opinions to the table. Additionally, as a person eventually attends support groups like AA (Alcoholics anonymous) after treatment, they will be prepared for a co-ed environment. It is also therapeutic and beneficial to know that both genders experience the same problems and feelings toward addiction. A co-ed environment can bring unique discussions that are more accurate to real-world conversations.
Private But Inclusive Treatment at Co Ed Treatment Centers
As one of many co-ed drug rehab centers in the California area, we provide an inclusive yet private environment for both genders. While both men and women will attend sessions and get treatment together, both men and women have separate and private living quarters. This creates a safe and inclusive environment for both genders so everyone can focus on their addiction recovery. Some people may be wary about attending treatment sessions and having facilities open to both men and women. However, there are many benefits to this environment and there are parts of the experience that can not be not only educational but useful in the long run as well.
Broader View of Issues for Different Genders at Co-Ed Treatment centers
Co-Ed Drug RehabIt comes as no surprise that men and women tend to experience addiction differently. There are specific aspects of drug addiction that may affect one gender and not the other. Co-ed addiction treatment allows both sides to hear the experiences and stories of the other gender. This can be eye-opening and can help a person realize that they are not alone in their struggles. Also, it can be helpful to see that, while there may be differences, both men and women experience some of the same struggles and feelings. Addiction impacts many people, regardless of age, gender, or background. Knowing that a person is not alone is one of the many benefits that co-ed rehab centers can offer.
How To Find The Best Co Ed Rehab Near You?
While men and women experience addiction treatment differently, each gender can bring a different perspective to therapy. This is why many people find they benefit the most from co-ed addiction treatment. Here are some important points for you to consider before choosing an inpatient treatment center:
- Type of treatment: What type of inpatient treatment do you need based on the level of care needed as assessed by your doctor or treatment professionals? You may choose a 7-10-day detox program, or a 30-day, 60-day, or 90-day rehab program.
- Location: Consider the coed rehab center’s location and if you prefer to enter treatment in a totally new environment or close to home.
- Substances treated: Find out whether the inpatient rehab program treats the specific substance you have been suffering from.
- Cost: Consider the cost of inpatient rehab centers and how you’ll pay for it (insurance, scholarships, financing). Inpatient rehabs are typically more expensive than outpatient, but they also provide various key levels of care and medical support.
- Certifications and credentials: Check what are the credentials of the facility and staff.
- Facility specific: Look at the drug rehabilitation facility’s philosophy and decide if it’s what you’re looking for (12-Step, evidence-based, faith-based) and aligns with your own personal beliefs and needs.
- Aftercare: Make sure they offer relapse prevention and aftercare planning, which may be helpful in maintaining sobriety after you leave treatment.
- Personal health & wellbeing: Consider your individual needs when choosing a drug and alcohol abuse treatment facility, including mental and physical health needs.
- Amenities: Inpatient rehabs offer various amenities depending on the facility and individual needs. These can vary from basic to luxury amenities.
Addiction Treatment at Crosspointe: Top Rated Co-ed Rehab in Los Angeles, California
Crosspointe Co-ed Rehab in Los Angeles, California provides quality service for men, women, and other gender identities. With decades of experience between our team and a safe environment to call your own, you are in good hands. Don’t wait for your addiction to get worse, and contact us today to start your journey toward recovery. We work 24/7, accept most major insurances, and are able to accommodate our patients with same-day admissions.
During your stay at our co-ed drug residential rehab, you will be supported and guided by our incredible staff. Addiction treatment differs from case to case and there are several options available to those dealing with drug use. Some of the most common options for treatment include the following:
- Detoxification: The process of ridding a person’s body of toxic substances (while relieving common withdrawal symptoms)
- Individualized therapy: Behavioral therapies focused on the individual and their personal journey
- Group Therapy: Therapy focused in a group setting (or in a family setting)
- Residential/Inpatient treatment: A person stays at a rehab center for a period of time with 24/7 support and guidance
- Outpatient Treatment: A person attends weekly sessions instead of staying at a rehab center
- Intensive outpatient treatment: Similar to outpatient treatment but a more intense schedule (longer and more frequent sessions throughout the week)
- Medication-assisted treatment: Medication is provided to ease some of the withdrawal symptoms of addiction/mental health cases in tangent with therapy sessions.